2. Former South African opener Sid O’Linn died. He was 89.
3. Kavita Sanghvi has been recognised for her experiential method of teaching physics as principal of MET Rishikul Vidyalaya in Mumbai by ‘The Global Teacher Prize 2017’.
4. United Nations ‘cultural body UNESCO have officially included Rio de Janeiro in its list of ‘World Heritage Sites’ in recognition of its soaring granite cliffs, urban rainforest and beaches.
5. Indian and Russian Navy have started their eight-day exercise ‘Indra Navy-2016’ in the Bay of Bengal. This exercise is the ninth edition of Indra- Navy and will be conducted from 14 December to 21 December.
6. Private sector’s second-largest telecommunications company Vodafone has announced the launch of ‘Vodafone M-Pesa PAY’, a digital payment solution for merchants and retailers to receive cashless payments from customers.
7. According to the recently released 2016 IHS Jane’s Defence Budgets report, India has become the world’s fourth largest defence spender.
8. Two-time Olympian and World Championships’ bronze medalist Shiva Thapa won a gold medal at the National Boxing Championships in the lightweight (60 kg) category.
9. Indian batswoman Smriti Mandhana has been named in the Women’s Team of the Year 2016, of International Cricket Council (ICC). Mandhana is the only Indian in ICC’s first-ever women’s team of the year.
10. Rajya Sabha has passed the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2014. The bill repeals Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunity Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act of 1995.