World Today – 14th September 2015
- PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi is the sole Indian-origin executive in
Fortune’s list of 50 most powerful women in business, which has been topped by
General Motors CEO Mary Barra. India-born Nooyi is ranked 2nd on the list,
moving up a notch from her third position last year. 59-year-old top executive
Nooyi marks her ninth year atop the $66.6 billion snack-and-drink behemoth in a
stronger position than she’s been in for a long time. The list also includes
IBM CEO Ginni Rometty on the third rank and Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg on the
- The Union Cabinet allowed 100% FDI under the automatic route for white label ATM operation. White labeled ATMs are set up by private non-bank companies that own and operate their own brand of ATMs. Till date, foreign investment in White Label ATM Operations (WLAO), was allowed through the government approval route. This required some processing time and projects were delayed. The move to allow 100% FDI under the automatic route for white label ATM operations is expected to promote financial inclusion in the country.
- The Indian government has approved the purchase of 10
missile-armed drones from Israel — a crucial acquisition that will enhance
India’s cross-border military strike capability. Government approved this $400-million
proposal for buying armed Heron TP drones from Israel. These drones will be
operated by the Indian Air Force.
- Rajasthan government signed 9 MoUs worth Rs. 30,530 crore with
nine petroleum companies. These companies are – Cairn India Limited, GSPL
Gasnet India Ltd, Focus Energy Limited, GAIL (India) Pvt Ltd, Rajasthan State
Gas Limited, IOCL, ONGC, OIL and Deep Industries Ltd. The investment plan of
the MOUs will be implemented during the period of three years ranging from 2015
to 2018. These MOUs will facilitate city gas distribution, pipeline network and
terminals for exploration as well as production activities.
- The Global MBA program of S.P. Jain School of Global Management
(S.P. Jain) has got a global Top Ten ranking by Forbes in its Best
International MBAs: One-Year Program rankings (2015-16). S.P. Jain is also the
only school of Indian-origin to be ranked in the world’s top 10. For four years
in a row now, S.P. Jain has featured in Forbes’ biennial rankings of the
world’s top business schools. In 2013-2014, it was ranked 11th in the world.
Insead earns the No. 1 spot in Forbes ranking of The Best International
One-Year Business Schools. It has campuses in Europe, Asia, and the Middle
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a Hindi networking site,
‘Mooshak’ envisaged on the lines of popular English social media platform
Twitter in the 10th World Hindi Conference. This new networking site is
targeted at Hindi language buffs. According to the Hindi networking site’s CEO
Anurag Gaud the word limit on Twitter is 140, while in ‘Mooshak’ it is 500
words. ‘Mooshak’ can be accessed on smart-phones by downloading it from Google
Play Store or visiting its website of the same name. The Madhya Pradesh capital
is hosting the 10th World Hindi Conference from September 10 to 12. The
three-day meet is being organised by the Ministry of External Affairs in
partnership with the Government of Madhya Pradesh.
- India and Indonesia signed a pact for repatriation of wanted
prisoners and cooperation in all criminal matters including gathering evidence.
In this regard, Union Ministry of Home Affairs issued an official gazette
notification for service or execution of summons or warrant in relation to
criminal matters in both countries. Under the agreement, India will execute
summons to an accused person or to any person requiring to attend and produce
documents or a search-warrant issued by an Indonesian court. While, Indonesia
will reciprocate with similar action, if there is any request from any Indian
- Renowned Sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan was conferred with
Kerala Goverment’s prestigious music award, ‘Swathi Sangeetha Puraskaram’ for
his outstanding contribution to Indian music. The award, instituted in memory
of legendary music composer Maharaja Swathi Thirunal, carries a cash prize of
Rs. one lakh, citation and a medal, and was presented to the maestro by Chief
Minister Oommen Chandy.
- Renowned water policy expert Ramaswamy R. Iyer passed away in
New Delhi. He was 86. Iyer was known for forming an expert committee on water
policy and environmental issues. His last held position was that of an honorary
research professor at the Centre for Policy Research. Prior to that, Iyer
served as Secretary of Water Resources in the central government as an officer
of the Indian Audit and Accounts Service.
About The Author
Preety Uzlain Preety Uzlain, MBA-Business Management, Director, CEO & Founder of SHAKSHARTA Digital Learning Private Limited. She has done BCA, MBA and Pursuing Doctorate as per my education qualification and has been one of the main proponents of www.govtjobspreparation.com & www.sarkarinaukri.asia for several years SINCE 2009.