Ancient India – History of India
Indus Valley Civilization
- Dayaram Sahni first discovered Harappa in 1921
- RD Banerjee discovered Mohenjodaro in 1922
- Covered parts of Punjab, Sindh, Baluchistan, Gujrat, Rajasthan and some parts of Western UP.
- Major sited in pakistan are Harappa, Mohenjodaro, etc. In India major sites are Lothal, rangpur and Surkotda, Kalibangan, Banwali and Alamgirpur.
- Elaborate town planning. It follows the grid system. Roads well cut, dividing the town into large rectangular blocks.
- Used burnt bricks of good quality.
- Good drainage syaytem.
- Grew wheat, barley, Rai, peas, seasamum, musturd, rice, cotton, dates and melon etc.
- Used wooden ploughs.
Art & Craft
- The Harappan culture belongs to the Bronze Age.
- Potter’s wheel was in use.
- Bronze image of the famous Dancing girl has been found at Mohenjodaro.
- Barter system was there. 16 was the unit of measurement.
- Harappan seals and other material has been found at Mesopotamia.
- Main object of worship was the Mother Goddess.
- Phallus and Yoni worship was also Prevalent.
- Many trees, animals, birds and stones were worshipped.
- The script is Pictographic, not deciphered.
About The Author
Preety Uzlain Preety Uzlain, MBA-Business Management, Director, CEO & Founder of Govt Jobs Preparation. She has done BCA, MBA and Pursuing Doctorate as per my education qualification and has been one of the main proponents of www.govtjobspreparation.com & www.sarkarinaukri.asia for several years SINCE 2009.